Mabuhay! Let's help S'pore get to know Pinoys



I'm currently cleaning up and trying to throw my old newspapers to the recycling bin. There was an article pala, by a certain Gina Olivares-Jocson (Mar-25-2007 Sunday Times) who according to the newspaper, is of Malay, Chinese, Italian, Portuguese and Spanish descent. Whoa, so many. What I have is a plain Filipino blood, thank you very much!

I was surprised because how many times do we, Filipinos, have a chance to write for the major daily? THE major daily, THE chief general news source for the country's English-language residents? Very seldom actually...

Anyway, I can really relate to her sentiments unfortunately. Most especially in this statement nya:
"So, is it a stretch to conclude that because of our embarrassment with our country's governance and the dire economic situation that has pushed many of us to look overseas for employment, we subconsciously decided to go around with bowed heads, so to speak?"

When I was also new here, I had a pretty hard time answering the question of "What is your race"? I thought I was a Malay because di ba, iyon yung itinuro sa atin sa school? That Filipinos are of Malay race? Later on, I discovered that for Singaporeans pala, Malay are those indigenous Malays, the original residents of this country. So looking back, na I ticked the box "Malay", napapangiti n lang ako...

Haaay.... Philippines... I really wish na our country will SOMEDAY prosper, so we will not have to be away from our families....

3 comments:

  1. Had the same experience with my race. Initially I wrote Malay, as it's the race that I know Filipinos belong to. But then I don't look like one, so I changed it to Chinese. Then they said you're not a Chinese, you're a Filipino. I didn't know it's considered a race. Now I know... I belong to the Filipino race.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There was an article pala, by a certain Gina Olivares-Jocson (Mar-25-2007 Sunday Times) who according to the newspaper, is of Malay, Chinese, Italian, Portuguese and Spanish descent. Whoa, so many. What I have is a plain Filipino blood, thank you very much!

    I personally don't find anything if she mentioned her Malay/Chinese/Italian/Portugese/Spanish descent.

    It's just like those caucasian Americans saying that they have Filipino blood in them or Indian blood. In fact, I find the "Filipino blood" more racist than stating one's mixed heritage. Why? Because it limits the scope of being Filipino. It's like saying that Henry Sy or Lucio Tan will never be Filipino because they are not of "Filipino" blood. Or that Apl.de.ap is only 'half' Filipino because one of his parents are of "Black/African" blood. Filipino, like "American" is a NATIONALITY rather than a bloodline

    ReplyDelete